Pages

Sunday 5 June 2011

Starting out with bees

I am not, as yet, a beekeeper, but I hope to be. I've been fascinated by bees for sometime. Back in March I signed up for a beekeeping course in Regents Park in London. And so started my bee education - there's a lot to learn about beekeeping in itself let alone all the areas we're pursuing with this feature.. music art science.. etc. But I came away from the course feeling enthused: The heady smell of the honey, wax and smoke; the bees landing on me with their back legs coated with red and yellow pollen; holding a frame heavy with bees and spotting the queen; the comb sculptures oozing from the hives looking like something Gaudi might have been inspired by. Then there was the sound - the polyphonic buzzing....

looking forward to pressing record..

But before I do that we are foraging, gathering everything and anything, researching people, places ideas, art science, poetry and music...